Friday, April 11, 2014

Vietnamese Temale @ Saigon Cafe



I am not a big fan of sticky rice. It is starchy and heavy for a meal on its own and I must admit that I don't mind having Chinese Temale when the season comes. The Vietnamese Temale is very similar. Stuffed with lightly fried glutinous rice with a sprinkling of vegetables and meat wrapped in banana leaf and cooked till soft.

Ten years ago, Vietnamese cuisine was a rarity in Malaysia but today, thanks to the more liberal visa system, Malaysia is home to many Vietnamese who come to work and play here. That said, I have fond memories of Vietnam during my time as a journalist in Hanoi. Saigon is more exciting as a food center but that's not to say that North Vietnamese cuisine is of a lesser quality.

I came by to Saigon Cafe to remember the forgotten taste of Vietnam and was mildly surprised by the cuisine on offer. They have made it more palatable by incorporating Malaysian Kopi Tiam cuisine into their menu but there are some originals.

The Vietnamese Temale is one of them. It cost a shade more than US$1.30 and is a tasty snack for any time of day. The flavor is pleasing without being overpowering. There is a hint of meat and dried prawns and is very soft, probably due to it being steamed when ordered. What I like about it is that it is very different from the ways that is prepared in Malaysia and Thailand. In Thailand, we often eat sticky rice as a dessert, which is similar to Nyonya cuisine. Malays use this as both a main meal in the form of Lemang, and in desserts. The Vietnamese Temale is much lighter than the Chinese Temale and comes as a rolled rice stick. It is not stuffed full of goodies but therein lies the difference.

I can't say much about the coffee. It is a Vietnamese blend, Robusta beans friend with Soya beans and Sweet Corn. The coffee is thick, but there is less beans in a spoonful. It came in a traditional Vietnamese coffee press, which is similar to the French Press except that it uses a drip down method. I wasn't won over by the taste which had more of a sweet corn after taste. There was very little acidity so when paired with condensed milk, it felt smooth on the palate.

What I like is that it is Kopi Tiam fare, meaning a meal should not cost you too much. Yes, I would go back to try the other items on the menu and for that I think that makes it my seal of approval.

Vietnamese Temale @ Saigon Cafe





0 comments:

Post a Comment