Saturday, May 11, 2013

Three Cup Chicken @ Zen Taiwanese Restaurant

Zen. The word conjures up images of Japanese monks sitting by a willow three meditating and hopefully find Nirvana in the process. In a forgotten time, it could even mean all manner of enlightenment but here at the Zen Restaurant, the Zen is put into practice by way of styling your food. I ordered the Three Cup Chicken. I have no idea what it is or whether it would fill three small cups with meat. My order arrives and is laid out in a Zen like manner. The dessert is made up of a glutinous rice ball with sesame seeds infused with a red bean filling. The Japanese cucumber too is infused with sesame oil, and for a bonus, there is a morsel of pork sausage.

The soup is made with vegetables and Chinese Wolfberry or Goji as you may know it, with a meatball obviously inspired in Taiwan which has a soft meat filling.

While the main dish isn't something to brag about, it is nevertheless a pleasant surprise. Fried with
sweet basil, dried chilies, rice wine and bean paste this Cup Chicken dish taste like home cooking.


The Chicken is soft, well flavored, without being too sweet or salty. The taste is delicate and the hint of basil provides for this. Not my preferred taste as I like strong and contrasty flavors in my food. The soup however was excellent. Light and tasty, you can skip the drinks and use this to wash down your meal. 

The whole meal cost roughly usd$7 bucks, which is quite a ransom to pay if you are only here to fill your belly but the restaurant itself is nicely decorated with an ambience to calm you before a meal. There are plenty else to order but I wasn't here for that. 

To be fair, I am not blown away by the chicken, the delicate taste isn't my thing but I would understand if you liked it. For me, a place like this can be a good dining choice though it's a little on the high side for a casual meal.  

Three Cup Chicken @ Zen Restaurant, Jusco Tebrau. Johor



0 comments:

Post a Comment